Monday 8 October 2007

Why, House & Garden? Why?



Of all the recent posts on Gwyneth Paltrow, which to my eyes is tantamount to a drive by shooting with bullets of smugness, this has to be my favourite; succinct and to the point. Though Decorno's post ran a very close second; but ultimately too forgiving.

An excerpt from the article written by Jay McInerney with my comments interspersed.

You don't expect someone like Gwyneth Paltrow to posses the normal domestic virtues, Ah, why not? but the Oscar-winning actress was intimately involved in the creation of her serene new Hamptons home. Oscar or no Oscar, isn't everyone intimately involved with the creation of their interiors? "I've become an encyclopedia of design for my friends," she says. And I suppose if she said the moon was made of cheese, we are meant to believe that as well? I am not sure which is harder to swallow the 'friends' part or the 'encyclopedia of design' part.


Paltrow, in a Marc Jacobs dress, sits on Thomas O'Brien's Farra cocktail ottoman for Hickory Chair, in front of her Odessa sofa by Les Migrateurs. The art is by Andy Warhol.
With all those names on the floor who needs flooring?

Clearly a member of the neo-trendsetter tribe; if not its queen.

----------------
Now playing: Kirsty MacColl - Designer Life
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Jackie Von Tobel said...

We're on the same wavelength. See my post about GP. I could not believe how sterile and impersonal her home was - I don't care if it's a vacation home or not - put up one of your kids crayon drawings and make us believe you're human.
Jackie

Layer Cake said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Gwyneth Paltrow is pure evil. And all the renewed media attention (because now she once again feels like gracing us with her presence after giving birth to what shall surely be our Messiah because her and Chris Martin are so divine-like and important) makes me groan. I thought I was rid of her forever! Bah!

Cote de Texas said...

I don't believe for one minute that she designed this house and I don't find it all the fabulous anyway. much was made of how gorgeous her kitchen was, is she now the architect of record too?

HOBAC said...

I think the person who thought that people like us would find her interesting should be, at the very least, flogged.