Sunday 4 November 2007

Dame Edith Sitwell: so perfectly English


With Edith - Morrissey on stage.



Portrait by Horst
Backstage Pass for Morrissey's Kill Uncle Tour.


Just recently, I was thinking of having some jewels made up out of some 15Th Century bits of carved bone, some scarabs, and some antique Chinese coral and ivory clasps. Nothing fussy or precious, just big and bold. How can one person be so completely and continually out of step? Why would I knowingly choose to create something so rarefied and impossible to sell? I can just picture those soccer moms pouring over them at Portobello on a Saturday morning. What a joy that would be! Another opportunity for the unworthy to dip into my bucket? I think not. I think we can all agree the last thing I need is one more reason to despise people - especially in such close proximity. That is just asking for trouble.

As I know who would not buy my baubles, I wondered what type of woman would? Dame Edith Sitwell, of course. Perfect in all her Plantagenet glory. I could just picture my creations on those amazingly graceful hands and on those kooky little turbans of hers. Still to this day an iconic figure; I think due in part to the fragility of, and there being something almost religious and martyr like about, her image. She was without a doubt a triumph over form and function and proof that beauty can be nothing more than a force of sheer will.

“Why not be oneself? That is the whole secret of a successful appearance. If one is a greyhound, why try to look like a Pekingese?”



----------------
Now playing: Morrissey - To Me You Are a Work of Art
via FoxyTunes
This is not the best version - it is so much better on the album

2 comments:

Cote de Texas said...

I would buy it! I own this huge scarab ring carved out of sterling silver. I've owned it for probably 30 years and wear it at least once a week. Go for it!!!

HOBAC said...

Hey Cd'T - I'm going to - just not for Portobello. After all ya can't keep a good bitch down.Ha!