Sunday 11 November 2007

Past perfect











This layout from House & Garden (January 1987) is what inspired me to become a decorator. Well, this and the fact that I had been fired from every real job I have ever had; some people just aren't meant to take direction from others.
This is the apartment of the now late Nancy, Lady Kieth; a multifaceted woman who lived life to the full. The embodiment of what a chic American woman should be.
The article begins, "What you see on these pages is the accumulation of a lifetime. Nothing was acquired for the rooms. Rather the rooms were acquired for the things." This has served as one of the principles of what I try to instill in and create and for my clients; rooms that appear to have evolved over time rather than those that have been done.

Perhaps the imminent demise of House & Garden is just the natural progression of things, and not the curse of Gwenyth. After all, are the lives of the new "icons" really worthy of preservation by a publication with such an illustrious past? You really can't make a silk purse of out of a sow's ear.


Slim: Memories of a Rich and Imperfect Life

----------------
Now playing: Peggy Lee - The Folks Who Live On The Hill
via FoxyTunes

8 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Just beautiful- perfection!!! I must find a copy of this issue! I wish more people understood "accumulation over a lifetime" rather than accumulation in six months.
And why Leland Heyward dumped Slim for Pamela Churchill I will never understand.

HOBAC said...

That, PoC, is one of the mysteries of the world.

Pigtown-Design said...

There is a great quote about the rooms reflecting the owners, not the architect or designer. That's what she was all about.

Just got the last issue of H&G. Let me know if you want me to send you a copy!

HOBAC said...

Fairfax - I think she wrote the article for the spread!
Thanks very sweet of you, but I get all the US ones delivered. Can't wait to see it.

serbelloni said...

I remember this spread perfectly and I'm sure have it in one of my files - what is scary is that it is from 1987! I actually art directed the jacket of this book. I met with Slim several times at her (this) apartment to go over her photographs that would be featured on the jacket. Her albums were amazing to say the least - the photos themselves and how they were displayed (in classic black papered albums with white photo corners and captions in hand writted white ink). She was gracious, witty and unfortunately a very heavy smoker. Overall, it was an incredible experience!

HOBAC said...

Sebellion - Oh please don't - I know 20 years!
Thank you for sharing this. How wonderful. The last of the Swans.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Lady Keith's only child is the marvelous American interior decorator Kitty Hawks, arguably the chicest woman in NYC.

HOBAC said...

Mitchell - how could she be anything but. I wanted io do a post about Ms Hawks as a follow up.