Monday 7 January 2008

Modern alchemy


Dia de los Muertos – the devotional notes of marigolds and frankincense tantalize and evoke both the living and the dead.


Opium Den – collapse into a languid, hazy cloud and submit to smoldering resins, opiates and tobacco fume.


Tincture of Winchester – a fire arsenal of wood stock, 19th century lacquer and smoky gunpowder.

While over at Spoiled Spongecake I found these. I have long wanted a change from my customary Diptyque candles. Though I adore them, they have become just too commonplace.


Douglas Little, founder of D.L. & Co., "had the desire to bring objects of opulence and beauty to those who yearn for the uncommon and the exquisite.
Every item designed is intended to unfold like a love letter, each detail revealing a procession of small delights. Like the purveyors of curious goods in previous ages, every item is intended to stir and enthrall each and every one of the senses, from the sleek feel of the carefully selected silk ribbons to the intoxicating atmospheres of the handmade fragrances."

16 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

If you get one, let us know your opinion. I've been considering some of his candles, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

HOBAC said...

PoC - Just ordered the three pictured. I will certainly let you know if the product lives up to the image.

Pigtown-Design said...

Gorgeous packaging! Can't wait to hear the review. I know I am being a total pleb but I like grapefruit candles. It's such a clean, sharp scent.

HOBAC said...

Fairfax - have you tried the Fortnum's pink pomelo?
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/(S(bacinyfw4ivcgc45cre4g0n0))/Catalogue/productinfo.aspx?id=5529&cid=735&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
I like them for the summer

Pigtown-Design said...

Ohhhhh... must try them. Thanks for the heads up!

a. said...

I have several of the candles and love them!

HOBAC said...

a. - thanks, now I can't wait. No one I know has tried them.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Tincture of Winchester -- sounds like it smells just like home here south of the Manson-Nixon line. I found a candle that smelled of mahogany recently, but had to use it as a last minute hostess gift. These are intriguing.

Suzy said...

They look gorgeous (as with all their products) just wish they were available here!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Sounds intoxicating and they are so pretty. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Patricia Gray said...

Mmmm I can almost smell them. Beautiful packaging and colours. Let us know how you like them.

HOBAC said...

AtB - can't wait for them to arrive.

PG - I will. I don't think I will be disappointed either.

girl meets glamour said...

Can I say that a candle is stunning? I will in this instance...I wish I could smell thru the computer!

~Kate

Layer Cake said...

I am SO glad you got some of these! They are AMAZING. I want them all but I am cheap. :) Douglas Little's bigger candles are around $130 (US) and I never thought I'd say it but people have told me they are worth every penny. The packaging on the large candles is beyond divine. Amazing. Small hat-like boxes covered in silk with black ribbon, alchemy labels, and tissue inserts. I'm such a sucker for packaging!

Barbara said...

I love your blog but usually just lurk.On this topic,though,I'd like to comment.IME,the look of these candles is far better than the scent or the throw.Hope your experience is better.If not,perhaps try Mariage Freres The Rouge candle.

HOBAC said...

Thanks, Barbara. Still (still) waiting on their arrival. I will have a look at your suggestion though.