Tuesday 16 September 2008

When pop artists aren't pop artists

Hey House of Beauty and Culture,

I came across your site while looking for sites who feature
Pop artists. Your site seems to be just what I was looking for.


The opening of this email caught my attention. Unfortunately, I was not thinking in today's vernacular. I was thinking more along the lines of Lichtenstein and Johns.


Drowning Girl by Roy Lichtenstein


Flag by Jasper Johns
Encaustic, oil and collage on fabric mounted on plywood,1954-55

Sara at Ariel Publicity's Cyber PR meant something entirely different. Yet, still interesting and fresh.

----------------
Now playing: M - Pop Music
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I'd love your comments on the big Damien Hirst aucton last night!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Two different aesthetics separated by a common language?

My thoughts followed yours...

HOBAC said...

E&EL - it must be our age ;-)

HOBAC said...

fairfax - that was a hard one.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I was hoping it was out relative degree of sophistication, alas.

What do you think of the auction? I am no authority on art, and even less so on the business of art. But I have been in marketing and advertising and I'm starting to believe that what we're seeing is just that and little more.

Still, artists gotta eat.

HOBAC said...

E&EL - I love a lot of what Hirst does. I think he has perfectly packaged the theme of mortality for what is essentially a very squeamish audience. For the most part, it is that segment of his audience that I find objectionable. With the exception of people like Johnson Hartig (the designer for Libertine), they are more so buying a piece of celebrity (as an investment) rather than the work.

One could argue that this too is of Hirst's own making. Which I disagree with, as he didn't invent either ego or greed. He has merely capitalised on them.