Tuesday, 16 September 2008

When pop artists aren't pop artists

Hey House of Beauty and Culture,

I came across your site while looking for sites who feature
Pop artists. Your site seems to be just what I was looking for.


The opening of this email caught my attention. Unfortunately, I was not thinking in today's vernacular. I was thinking more along the lines of Lichtenstein and Johns.


Drowning Girl by Roy Lichtenstein


Flag by Jasper Johns
Encaustic, oil and collage on fabric mounted on plywood,1954-55

Sara at Ariel Publicity's Cyber PR meant something entirely different. Yet, still interesting and fresh.

----------------
Now playing: M - Pop Music
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

I'd love your comments on the big Damien Hirst aucton last night!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Two different aesthetics separated by a common language?

My thoughts followed yours...

The House of Beauty and Culture said...

E&EL - it must be our age ;-)

The House of Beauty and Culture said...

fairfax - that was a hard one.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I was hoping it was out relative degree of sophistication, alas.

What do you think of the auction? I am no authority on art, and even less so on the business of art. But I have been in marketing and advertising and I'm starting to believe that what we're seeing is just that and little more.

Still, artists gotta eat.

The House of Beauty and Culture said...

E&EL - I love a lot of what Hirst does. I think he has perfectly packaged the theme of mortality for what is essentially a very squeamish audience. For the most part, it is that segment of his audience that I find objectionable. With the exception of people like Johnson Hartig (the designer for Libertine), they are more so buying a piece of celebrity (as an investment) rather than the work.

One could argue that this too is of Hirst's own making. Which I disagree with, as he didn't invent either ego or greed. He has merely capitalised on them.