Sunday 14 December 2008

Natural devotion



This odd looking fruit, known as Buddha's Hand, is actually one of the oldest members of the citrus family. It is thought to resemble the fingers of Buddha, hence its name in Chinese, foshou, which has almost the same pronunciation as the words for blessings and longevity. Although it smells strongly of lemon, it has no pulp beneath its rind. Instead, Buddha's Hand is grown for its aromatic zest. Chinese and Japanese households use it as a natural air freshener, and it even has a place in Buddhistic ceremonies.



An elegant example of a Buddha's hand, the thumb and third finger making the gesture symbolic of imparting knowledge.



Buddha’s-Hand Citron, 1800s. China. Qing dynasty (1644-1911). Nephrite. The Avery Brundage Collection.




Ming Buddha's hand citron, 1368-1644.




Nephrite Buddha's hand citron, circa 1800-1900

----------------
Now playing: David Bowie - Buddha of Suburbia
via FoxyTunes

8 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, I can always count on you!
I saw my very first Buddha's Hand last week in the farmer's market and I was just entranced. Bright yellow and just magical. I really should have purchased one, it was so lovely to look at. I've asked everyone, but no one knew much about them. I do hope they are still there when I return!

HOBAC said...

PT&E - it can be used as a lemon zest substitute in cooking and the pith isn't bitter. Absolutely gorgeous candied.

Pigtown-Design said...

Fascinating!

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

I'm with Pamela — I just saw it in the market, as well. But immediately after that, I bought the new Ken Druse garden book and there it was!

Candied, you say? Just do it as you would do any kind of citrus? A little something to add to the Christmas chore list...

rubyhanoi said...

We grow it at our beach house in Vietnam. They are usually sold on the 1st and 15th of the Lunar calender for the alter tables ..

Renee Finberg said...

this is an interesting post.
and the hands............beautiful.

thanks

x

Easy and Elegant Life said...

So they would work as an indoor plant? Citrus is a favourite scent. And I can always use another twist for a martini...

But I may spend way too much time trying to interpret its mudrahs.

Cote de Texas said...

i collect Chinese altar fruit and this is one of them! I never knew what it was - thanks!!!