Tuesday 13 January 2009

Torero





Nineteenth Century Spanish Suit of Lights
Suit of silver thread on silk with glass beads. Exceptional workmanship. Deaccession in the 80s from a Museum in Seville, Spain.




Yves Saint Laurent's 1979 Fall Couture Collection was inspired in part by the corrida. In particular, the two ensembles to the right most strongly demonstrate the iconography.



Yves Saint Laurent 1979
The shocking pink evening cape owes its influence to the muleta, the small red cape used in the final act.

----------------
Now playing: Malcolm McLaren - Carmen (L'Oiseau Rebelle)
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Renee Finberg said...

interesting and beautiful

Cote de Texas said...

gorgeous - that pink cape! the first picture - just beautiful.

Pigtown-Design said...

I remember being so intrigued by these when i was a child. they're such amazing handiwork, aren't they?

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I enjoyed both bull fighting posts. The last time we were in Spain, Mrs. E. and I took in a bull fight in Seville and made it to the ring in Ronda. It is quite the spectacle and I admit to enjoying the dance. I mentioned that it must be wonderful to have a suit of lights. My mother (who was visiting at the time) promptly informed me that I was too fat to carry it off... Olé!